ABLE has decided to organize BEST 2019 program this year using the latest communication technologies for interaction instead of a physical bootcamp. Here is the schedule*.
- February 07, 2020: Last date of Submitting Concept Notes & Executive Summary (Each college can send a maximum of TWO (2) entries.
- February 12, 2020: Top 12 teams will be shortlisted for the finals.
- February 15, 2020: Commencement of webinars
- February 29, 2020: Top 12 Shortlisted Students teams will make 15-minute presentation to the jury over a teleconferencing facility
- March 12-13, 2020: Announcement of winners and prize distribution during ABLE BioEconomy Conclave at the Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore.
*Note: Certain information provided herein and Dates may be subject to change: Check the website for regular updates.
FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions
- 1. What is BEST programme and what are its salient features?
- ABLE, the Association of Biotechnology Led Enterprises www.ableindia.in has been successfully conducting the Biotechnology Entrepreneurship Student Teams (BEST India) program to inculcate the spirit of entrepreneurship among biotech students since 2009, with the support of the Department of Biotechnology.
- This program has been encouraging young graduate, post-graduate and doctoral students in developing their entrepreneurial skills by exposing them to issues involved in the commercialization of biosciences. Over the past decade, at least, 20 companies have been formed by BEST graduates that together have garnered more than Rs 400 crore in investment and have created 180 high value jobs. Startups like Sea6Energy, Pandorum Technologies, and KB Cols, which have emerged from BEST program, have won many laurels for the country over the years.
- 2. Can individuals apply?
- No. As the name indicates, students have to form teams as the programme is intended to promote team building where members work together towards a common goal.
- 3. How many members should be in the team?
- The team should have 5 members.
- 4. Should we have a Guide/Mentor?
- A Guide or Mentor is preferable, but not a must. The Guide/Mentor is not a team member and will not be entitled to any privileges that team members are eligible for, including attending entrepreneurship workshop, any reimbursements, prize money, making presentations to the Jury or attending BioInvest, etc.
- 5. So how can we compete?
- If you have an idea that has scientific merit and commercialization potential, you need to form a team comprising not more than five members. Discuss extensively among your team mates and evolve a Concept Note that has a scientific basis and sound reasoning in terms of commercialization to be worthy of consideration by the jury. Upload your Concept Note in the prescribed manner in ABLE India’s website www.ableindia.in before the deadline.
- 6. Should the teams be from the same institution?
- Student teams may be from the same institution or from different institutions. As this programme is to encourage ventures in Life sciences, students will have to be from the life science streams. However, One third of the team could be from disciplines other than life sciences. The leader of the team will be responsible for communicating with his team members information received from ABLE from time to time.
- 7. Does the idea have to be absolutely original?
- No. Existing ideas can be developed, but it will have to be creative and have the potential for commercial application. The aim of the scheme is to identify a potential idea and nurture it through entrepreneurship. However, a novel idea will be given more weightage.
- 8. Is there any entry fee for the competition?
- 9. How can we send these Concept Notes and is there a deadline?
- ABLE has decided to organize the BEST 2019 program this year using the latest communication technologies for interaction instead of a physical bootcamp. Online Webinars will be conducted by ABLE’s leadership team providing motivational talks to improve students skills to convert ideas into an effective business plan and introduce students to aspects like proof-of-concept, IPR, managing funds, licensing and strategic alliances for starting a venture through online.
- 10. Are we required to provide any proof of identity?
- Yes. Students should upload their photo identity card issued by respective college/institutions with the Concept Note. Teams selected for the Workshop must carry their original student identity card to the Workshop.
- 11. Can one member be part of two teams?
- No, one member has to represent only one team
- 12. Can a B.Sc student participate?
- As this program is for post graduates & for PhD Scholars, B. Sc students are not eligible. However, students in an integrated Masters Course and B.E/B.Tech students are eligible.
- 13. Can a MBBS, B.Pharmacy student participate?
- 14. Can a MBA student participate?
- Yes, as long as two-thirds of the team are life science students.
- 15. I am employed, but doing part time PhD, am I eligible?
- No, this program is meant to encourage entrepreneurship. Hence, people who are employed are not eligible.
- 16. What is the meaning of authenticated ID cards?
- Authenticated ID cards means the student’s valid ID card given by the College/institution with candidate’s photo and validity of the card should be mentioned. If the validity of the card is not mentioned in the card then a separate letter from the HOD should be attached in the PDF of the identity card
- 17. We are participants of different colleges, institutions. Whose authorization letter should be produced?
- Members of different college/institution have to upload authorization letters from their respective colleges/institutions.
- 18. Who is eligible to make the presentation?
- The team can nominate any team member to make the presentation. Alternatively team members can jointly make the presentation.
- 19. Are we expected to show a working model/prototype along of the concept note?
- Working model/prototype is not mandatory and having one does not qualify for extra marks in the screening process.
Sign up today for hints, tips and the latest product news.